CLIENT:
Chester City Mission

VALUE: £1.1m

ON SITE: April 2007

CONTRACTOR :
McGoff & Byrne Ltd

PROGRAMME: 9 Months

 

Former Temperance Hall, Chester

Drop-in Centre for Chester City Mission

The City Mission is a charitable organisation serving the broader Christian community within the City. As a result of redevelopment plans for a significant quarter to the north west of the City Centre, the Mission needed to relocate.

In 2007, ING Developments acquired the former Temperance Hall; suitable as a new home on three counts. The building is close to the City Centre, it is highly appropriate in both its accommodation and character and, at the time, it was available.

Built originally as a church it was linked shortly after completion to the Presbytery at 22 George Street, the date of 1862 being recorded on the inscribed date stone. The main body of the building is a rectangular neo-gothic hall, with arcades of arched windows to both front and rear elevations. The pitched roof is supported on decorative timber trusses, corbelled off the substantial brick walls, with deep splayed reveals to the windows.

Our brief was to remodel and adapt the accommodation to provide a larger central space with access to smaller meeting rooms, a café, a kitchen and other ancillary spaces, along with dormitories and bathroom accommodation for visitors. The remodelling took full account of DDA requirements incorporating a platform lift and providing level access.

Please download the development profile sheet here.